Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Whimsical Reno Air Race Table

This weeks post is a whimsical tablescape using the Reno Air Race theme.  The Reno Air Races, officially known as the National Championship Air Races, is a multi-day event that takes place each September a few miles north of Reno, Nevada. Air racing is billed as "the world's fastest motor sport".  Being a pilot I always enjoy seeing the vintage war birds flying in airshows or at the races.  Nothing brings goosebumps faster than the sound of a P51 Mustang or a F8F-2 Bearcat roaring by at almost 500 mph.  Yes, 500 mph!!!.   Seeing that I'm not making it out to Reno this year I thought I would decorate in a racing theme this week. One of my all time favorite planes that I follow is a modified P51 Mustang named Precious Metal.  Unfortunately Precious Metal  (my centerpiece model) had a major fire after fueling on way to Reno last year and is currently undergoing restoration in Kissimmee,  FL.  Hopefully she will make the races in 2017 and I'll be there to see her race again.   The air race theme would be perfect for a child's birthday party or even an adult.  


T-6 race at Reno 

Reno Air Race tablescape.

P51 model I found at Home Goods years ago and painted like Reno air racer Precious Metal. 

Reno Air Race tablescape using my airplane collection. 

Air race and aviation themed items on the server and table. 

Place cards with vintage airplane pins, wine charms (made from aviation earrings) and napkin rings made from airplane children's shoelace locks I purchased many years ago.  

Every airshow has jumpers to open the show.  I found these a few weeks ago while junkin' and knew they would be perfect for the Reno table.  
Place settings using fabric covered chargers, clear glass plates and my Hallmark airplane collection. 

Vintage war bird print fabric used to cover the charger plates. 





P51 Precious Metal Unlimited Class racer flown by Thom Richard.  

Precious Metal departing for the Unlimited race at Reno.  

Jet class racer at Reno. 

F8F-2 Bearcat Rare Bear departing to race in the Unlimited Class.  

Flight line pre race line up prior to the Gold Unlimited Class final race. 


Bi-plane Class racing at Reno. 

Another of my all time favorites that I was able to watch at Reno in the early 90's.  This is a P-38 "White Lightnin" Unlimited Class racer flown by Lefty Gardner.  


This post is linked to the following parties:
417th Tablescape Thursday -Between Naps on the Porch 
Thursday Favorite Things - Katherines Corner
Home & Garden Thursday - A Delightsome Life
Home Sweet Home #289 - The Charm of Home
Grace at Home #219 - Imparting Grace
"Anything Goes" Pink Saturday - How Sweet the Sound
Dishing It & Digging It Link Party #114 - Life and Linda

13 comments:

  1. So many fun details and you nailed this theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. It was a fun table to create and I enjoyed making all the air race accessories too!

      Delete
  2. What a great, fun table you have set in tribute to the Reno Airshow! I'm sorry you can't attend this year, your love for the event is very evident. Those napkin rings are darling and once again, your fabric-covered chargers are perfect. (My Dad flew a warbird in WWII so those really touched me.) I look forward to seeing your posts each week, you are so creative and your table settings have so many great details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. It's not the typical table you see on Tablescape Thursday, but I like to create and shake things up a bit. I think it's great that your Dad flew a WWII warbird. What type of plane did he fly? I'm a commercial pilot and I've had the privilege to fly a couple old warbrids years ago that belonged to friends. My favorite was the T-6. Those little shoelace keepers/locks that are painted white with the stripes were worn by me to many
      airshows. I painted them to match the stunt biplane I owned and flew to many airshows around the country. I always flew in sneakers and didn't want my shoestrings to come untied in flight especially if I was flying upside down. They were always a hit with children. I never dreamed I would use them on a napkin ring one day.

      Delete
  3. Very sweet tablescape. You go all out with your tablescapes. From cool accessories to customized chargers. Love your creativity. As always we appreciate sharing at Dishing It & Digging It.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I'll come back down to the ground and make sure to post on DI & DI this Sunday!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caherine,
    What a great tablescape. I would never thought to do this but this is great and so happy you shared at Dishing it and Digging it. We love having you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa. I enjoy going to the Reno Air Races and when I cannot make it out to Reno I watch and listen online. I decided to decorate for the races this year. I had dinner at my table Sunday night and watched the final races online.

      Delete
  6. Fun table!! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was a fun table to put together. I'll be back to "normal" tables this week. :)

      Delete
  7. Catherine,
    What a great post!! LOVE the tablescape and those dishes are fantastic!! Have a great day, my new friend!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. I design all types of non typical tablescapes. I'm planning my NASCAR tablescape now and will be posting my political convention table that I put up in July before I started blogging soon. Most are typical, but every now and then I'll have something different. Thank you and again and it's great to have a new friend here in blog land. :)

      Delete